Ivermectin/Moxidectin Toxicity in Dogs

(Because We Care About Our Little Furry Friends, Too!!)

By: Jennifer Wright, DVM, IVCA

Did you know that Ivermectin or Moxidectin-containing deworming products commonly administered to your horse can seriously harm or kill your dog?  Eating the small bits of paste that your horse spits out OR eating your horse’s manure after they have been Picture2dewormed mPicture3ay expose your dog to a toxic level of Ivermectin.  Early signs of Ivermectin/Moxidectin toxicity include drooling, vomiting, ataxia, tremors, disorientation, recumbency, seizures or blindness.  Collie and shepherd breeds or very young animals are more at risk of developing these toxic side effects.  Prognosis is usually very good if aggressive treatment is started immediately.  Please secure your dogs and make sure the empty syringes are securely disposed of when deworming your horses!